Online Shopping Bolsters Christmas Sales
Posted at 7:56AM Tuesday 08 Jan 2013
Strong growth in online shopping stopped retail sales falling in December, according to the British Retail Consortium (BRC).
Sales in December were up 1.5% compared with a year earlier, while like-for-like sales, which exclude new store openings, rose 0.3%.
Without a 17.8% jump in online non-food sales, total sales would have fallen.
Get book trade news by email
Daily book trade headlines and breaking publishing news by email - just £3 a month. Click on the Subscribe button below to sign up now
Find out more
More Book Trade News
Most Popular Stories
- Reading For Pleasure Builds Empathy And Improves Well Being, Research From The Reading Agency Finds
- Hogarth UK And US Pre-empt World Rights To Astonishing Debut From 2015 Caine Prize Winner
- What Kids Should Read
- Tablet To Tablet: What Hasn't Changed In Publishing — And Should
- Experts Devise Formula To Crack Agatha Christie's Murder Mysteries
- Literary Agents Turn To Twitter To Solicit New Manuscripts
- Is This Really The Golden Age Of Publishing?
- J.K. Rowling, First Billionaire Author, Adds To Empire As She Turns 50
- Jenny Parrott Signs With Orion As Kitty Danton
- Internet-Only Stores To Overtake Retail Giants' Online Sales This Year