WH Smith says margin growth offsets sales fall
Posted at 8:24AM Wednesday 23 Jan 2013
WH Smith said improved margins helped underpin profits and offset an expected fall in sales over the Christmas period.
The group, which trades from over 600 town centre stores and over 600 outlets at airports, train stations, hospitals, motorway service stations and work places, on Wednesday said sales at stores open a year fell 5 percent in the 20 weeks to January 20.
WHS Christmas Trading Statement
Get book trade news by email
Daily book trade headlines and breaking publishing news by email - just £3 a month. Click on the Subscribe button below to sign up now
Find out more
More Book Trade News
Is Apple Needling Amazon
Go to the iBooks store on your Apple device and notice a curious thing: George Orwell's picture dominates the front page.
Most Popular Stories
- Richard Dawkins Apologises For Causing Storm With Down's Syndrome Tweet
- Book Publishers Scrambling For Cover In Wake Of 'Adult' Charlie And The Chocolate Factory Cover Controversy
- Is Apple Needling Amazon
- You've Heard Of The Netflix Of Books. Here's The Redbox Of Books
- HarperCollins Humble Ebook Bundle With Gaiman, Bujold, Coelho, Williams, And More
- Samsung And Barnes & Noble Introduce New Samsung Galaxy Tab® 4 Nook®
- J-Lo Releases Tell-all Love Book
- Readers Absorb Less On Kindles Than On Paper, Study Finds
- La Mamounia Literary Award Finalists
- Julian Gough Launches 'Litcoin' Kickstarter To 'Remodel The Economics Of Reading'