Oxfam Singled Out For Benefiting From Business Rates Relief, Despite Operating More Bookstores Than Waterstones
Posted at 8:06AM Wednesday 05 Mar 2014
A report from a committee of MPs into the future of the retail sector has urged government to tighten up the definition of a charity shop, in response to complaints from other types of shops about charities' business rates relief.
Oxfam had been singled out in evidence given to the Committee for benefiting from "a fantastic range of relief", despite operating more bookstores than Waterstones.
Get book trade news by email
Daily book trade headlines and breaking publishing news by email - just £3 a month. Click on the Subscribe button below to sign up now
Find out more
More Book Trade News
Is Apple Needling Amazon
Go to the iBooks store on your Apple device and notice a curious thing: George Orwell's picture dominates the front page.
Most Popular Stories
- Is Apple Needling Amazon
- German Minister For Culture And Media: Amazon 'Should Not Endanger Diversity'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Shere Khan To Battle Idris Elba's Rival Cat In Andy Serkis's Jungle Book
- La Mamounia Literary Award Finalists
- Amazon's Awful War Of Words
- Richard Dawkins Apologises For Causing Storm With Down's Syndrome Tweet
- Book Publishers Scrambling For Cover In Wake Of 'Adult' Charlie And The Chocolate Factory Cover Controversy
- You've Heard Of The Netflix Of Books. Here's The Redbox Of Books
- Readers Absorb Less On Kindles Than On Paper, Study Finds
- HarperCollins Humble Ebook Bundle With Gaiman, Bujold, Coelho, Williams, And More