UK Retail Sales Edged Up In March
Posted at 11:31AM Sunday 27 Apr 2014
Retail sales edged up in March compared with the previous month, official figures have shown, beating forecasts.
Sales volumes were 0.1% higher in March than in February. Analysts had expected sales to drop because of the Easter holidays falling in April this year.
Volumes in March were up 4.2% compared with a year earlier, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.
The cold weather a year ago was a key factor in the year-on-year rise, the ONS said.
Get book trade news by email
Daily book trade headlines and breaking publishing news by email - just £3 a month. Click on the Subscribe button below to sign up now
Find out more
More Book Trade News
PRH Canada Opens Toronto Bookstore
Penguin Random House Canada has opened a new "Penguin Shop" bookstore on the first floor of the tower that houses the company's offices in Toronto
Most Popular Stories
- How to Be Active on Social Media without Losing Your Mind
- Donald Trump Used $55k Of Campaign Funds To Buy His Own Book
- Women in UK still far adrift on salary and promotion
- 'Do a Bradbury' and 'bogan' among 6,000 new entries in Australian National Dictionary
- Meet the 'Human Google' at the New York Public Library
- Man Booker winner The Luminaries adapted for TV
- WH Smith Leaves Tech Trailing
- New branch of Waterstones opening on Teesside this week
- How the Panama Papers Show Publishers the Value of Big Data
- Vice Head: Prepare For Media Bloodbath